Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Who Is He?

Yesterday, inmate John Smith* came to the library.  He presented legal documents and requested copies.  I looked at the documents and noted that the name on them was David Brown*.  I said to him, "Who is David Brown?"  He replied that it was him.  I then asked him, "Who is John Smith?"  He replied that he, too, was John Smith.  I expressed confusion.  He said that when he was arrested he was going by John Smith but he was really David Brown.  I asked him if anyone else knew that, and he said that custody knew.  So I called his building and asked one of my favorite officers what she knew about John Smith and David Brown being one and the same.  She only knew him by John Smith.  I then called the program office and asked the sergeant what he knew about this mysterious inmate.   He input the inmate's CDCR number into his computer to check for any aliases.  None.  Not a one.  California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation only knows him as John Smith.  I then told the inmate that I could not copy the documents as they had the wrong name on it.  He needed to prove he was David Brown and not John Smith.   He asked me how he could do that . . . hmmmm . . . the truth always works,  I thought but didn't say.   He was polite and didn't blame me for his predicament, which was unusual for an inmate.  As he was leaving the library, I told him that when he figured out who he was to let me know and perhaps his documents could be copied.  He said that he knew who he was, but didn't seem to want o share that with me at that time.  Are John Smith and David Brown one and the same?  Who really knows besides John Smith, David Brown and his/their mother(s).

*name changed to protect the guilty

2 comments:

  1. Truely admire your strength and wit to deal with the constant deceit that gets thrown at you every day! You're a RockStar!

    ReplyDelete